Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Good Manners Kids Stuff Press -- The start of, well, something!

Dear Reader,

Although I said "Welcome" in my first blog post, that was really just a "Welcome" to get the template started.

This is really my first "Welcome" post where I am actually going to write and publish some content.

My name is Leslie Susskind and I am getting ready to launch Good Manners Kids Stuff Press. I thought it might be fun to share my journey of starting a publishing company and selling books with you.

This blog may end up telling a cautionary tale -- or it may chronicle the start of something big. Either way, I'm going to talk about it here.

I'm launching Good Manners Kids Stuff Press so that I can self-publish books that I have written for my website business, www.goodmannerskidsstuff.com. My site sells products that helps teach children good manners. I've designed and produced the other products (placemats, water bottles, plates, thank you notes and invitations) and I wanted to tell some stories about good manners, too.

Now, in the spirit of full disclosure, I must confess that I am a frustrated author who has had some nibbles from agents and editors for my non-manners themed children's books -- but I'm still toiling away at my day-time job in Marketing as a Creative Director while working on my website at night (while being a full-time wife and mother, too).

So when I wanted to have some books to support my good manners brand and ideas, there was no question that I would be the one to write them. The question, instead, was how I would go about doing it.

The answer was to self-publish it/them. I started writing the stories and researching how to get the books made. In my next post I'll share in more detail what I learned, what I ultimately decided was the best option for me and how Good Manners Kids Stuff Press was born (although, with a name like that, it clearly won't need a big leap of logic to figure it out).

I hope you'll check back from time to time to see how my self-publishing journey is going. Feel free to sign up to have updates emailed to you or to become a follower. I'd love to have some company while I figure this whole thing out!

Your wannabe author and publisher,

Leslie Susskind

P.S. You may want to visit my site www.goodmannerskidsstuff.com to understand my product designs and brand message. Or, if you like reading blogs, you may want to see my other two blogs: www.goodmannersmom.blogspot.com and www.goodsportbadsport.com. Both deal differently with good and bad manners and I have a lot of fun writing them!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post your comments here.