Sunday, May 24, 2009

Design Time

Dear Reader,

I met with my artist, Kecia, on Wednesday and I can't wait until she works some magic with my words!

We met at the Iron Hill Brewery in West Chester. The weather was beautiful and we were able to eat outside. I had a Bistro burger -- an assortment of wild and exotic mushrooms and boursin cheese. Yum! Kecia had a portabella mushroom sandwich. That was my second choice although I am not a fan of red peppers, which is problematic because they always seem to pair portabella and peppers at restaurants. Oddly, I only like yellow and orange peppers, not green or red. (My other choices were a turkey guacamole burger with pepper jack cheese and turkey with cranberry and brie on multigrain bread -- I'm making myself hungry!)

But back to the Good Manners Kids Stuff Press update:
Kecia is illustrating approximately 30 little heads for me and laying out my text into the Create Space template. The heads are used with the 30-ish captions/situations in the book. 20 are children and 10 are grownups. We laughed at my attempts to draw them. ( I wish I could draw, but I can't even print/write neatly! I'll just be sticking to words.)

I'm sending off the manuscript for a copyright from the Library of Congress so it's safely on record there. (I've sent all of my work off, regardless of whether it's been published. Not that I think I'm so wonderful -- it's just that I put a lot of blood, sweat and tears into it all and want it to be protected.)

In the meantime, I've assigned a Good Manners Kids Stuff Press ISBN to the book (one of a set that I purchased for the publishing company). As I was researching how to self-publish or print on demand, I decided that my best option was to own my own numbers. It was so exciting to get the official information -- each step brings it closer to becoming real.

In my next post, I'll explain how and why Good Manners Kids Stuff Press came into being. Right now, I am enjoying the weekend (even enjoying the cleaning and yard work) while the book is out of my hands. A little time away from it will help me have fresh eyes when I see it again.

Until then,

Leslie

P.S. Spell check wouldn't tell me if portobella (the way I orginally spelled it) was spelled right -- it only offered potbelly, portable, paella as suggestions! Not too helpful. Had to go onto Google and type it in to see it was "portabella."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post your comments here.